Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Decreased Socialization




Preparing...from Hospice...

I found this little statement from Hospice and it helped me understand that mom is just trying to prepare.... "The person may only want to be with a very few or even just one person. This is a sign of preparation for release and affirms from whom the support is most needed in order to make the appropriate transition. If you are not part of this inner circle at the end, it does not mean you are not loved or are unimportant. It means you have already fulfilled your task with your loved one, and it is the time for you to say Good-bye. If you are part of the final inner circle of support, the person needs your affirmation, support, and permission."

This little statement helped me realize that my role needs to be to support those found in the inner circle instead of trying to weasel my way into the inner circle. It is nice to have a clearer understanding of what mom needs from me!

I think from my other posts, you have a good idea about how nights have been. Now, we are finding that she is doing that same whining and whimpering all day long too. It is so hard to see her like that. We never see a smile and very rarely see her eyes because she closes them most of the time. Our mom who used to love her garden, flowers, and birds...no longer feels the joy from them or much of anything else. These pictures are of her yard...she planted everything in this yard after she bought the propery from her parent's estate. I try everyday to show her something from her yard...but she just does not seem to care. It is sad...!

5 comments:

  1. mom-

    Sad day! I know that Cille loved that garden. I can see her in my mind's eye with her cart and large floppy gardening hats.

    I remember when i was a missionary there was a quote shared with me: Wherever thou art, act well thy part!

    So i'm glad you are learning what a vital role you play even though you might not think its what you want to be. We love you and pray for you everyday.

    love-nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. My cousin and I were chatting online just after I read this, and my grandma is in the same situation. She was kind of sad after taking care of her all day and hearing her moans for my grandpa (whose in another facility) without being able to help, and I shared this with her and it helped a lot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail,
    I know how difficult the various stages are. I think of all of you each day and wish I could help. It sounds as if you are doing well at keeping it all in perspective. It is a lot like our parenting skills were- we learn as we go. Hospice is wonderful! They sent me literature for a year. They seem to read your mind and know just what you need! Hang in there! Love you all!
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail you are doing such a wonderful service to your mom by being there with her. I know it is so hard, and the lack of validation sounds so frustrating. I am sure your constant presence there is such a comfort to Cille, it is so sad to think of her not enjoying the things she used to. Thank you for keeping us updated on what is going on. We love you, Josh and Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Gail you truly are a wonderful person, your family is as lucky to have you. Just like we are so lucky to be your Sweet Friends.

    ReplyDelete