Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sleeping Pill plus Adivan...but still no rest for mom...

At 7:00 this morning, mom finally fell asleep. I gave her the highest dose of Ativan (for anxiety)every 4 hours last night and a prescription sleeping pill...and she still stayed up all night! I have been laying in bed thinking about this whole situation and decided to get up write down my thoughts...so even if this post seems scattered and useless to you....just remember as you read it...this one is for me! (and I am writing this after 0 hours of sleep!) We started Ativan several weeks ago. The prescription says"use as needed". I have talked with the nurses about how to use it and they have said that when I see she is getting anxious just give her a pill. At first we were only giving it to her at night but as she began to cry more, we began giving it during the day. I talked with mom's nurse Tammy yesterday and I told her that it is hard to get her to take it sometimes (pills are getting hard for mom to swallow). Tammy gave me the best advice yet...she said to crush it and put just a small drop of maple syrup on the powder..put on some gloves and dip my finger in the syrup and let her lick it off my finger. She said that when I notice mom getting anxious just mix some up and give it to her. It works faster if you can get it in that way and she enjoys the experience instead of getting anxious about swallowing another pill. According to a book called,"The Alzheimers Action Plan" Ativan is a number one choice sedative for older people because it has a short half life, meaning that it doesn't linger in the body after the person stops taking it. Some of these anxiety pills need to be taken around the clock to stay effective but this one is sort of "on call" when you need it. I heard someone say that their dad took it around the clock and it lost it's effectiveness...that could be a nighmare! My struggle right now is that I am not sure it is working. Even though I have given it to her every four hours for several nights...she is still restless. According to the same book I mentioned above, "People with Alzheimer's can go on wakefullness and sleeping binges, such as staying awake non stop for two or three days and then sleeping twenty-four hours." That is the pattern we are seeing. Having written this...I have decided to journal when I give her the pills and how her mood has changed...maybe it is working and I am just so caught up in it that I do not see it.... I am going to talk to the nurses again...but in the meantime...mom is calling...Love yall!!!

2 comments:

  1. My Aunt Mary was on Adivan and Hospice gave us some in a little bottle that you just squirted in her mouth. If she didn't swallow it then it was just absorbed. She never complained about the taste. It was a sort of syrup and it did help a lot. Keeping a journal seems like a good idea. I'm glad we did that with Aunt Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, We mix patients' meds with a couple tablespoons applesauce (crushed up of course) and it seems to work for a lot of them. -Josh

    ReplyDelete